Actually, I do need choplist (or something similar).  All of the lists I am
sending out are time sensitive (stock market info and news), so the faster I
can get them out the better.  By pipelining messages to remote mail servers
instead of opening a bunch of separate connections, I'm less likely to kill
the remote ones with too much mail (I'm using qmail and it doesn't have rate
limiting).

The list server uses my smarthost (qmail) as a relay, and the smarthost
directs outgoing mail to a cluster of QMTP servers (qmail, obviously) that
actually do the sending.

I'm currently using ezmlm, and while it works, it's becoming a nightmare to
administer with all of the lists and subscribers we have.  I'm not a mail
admin, I'm a network guy, but this mailing list BS is starting to take up
too much of my time, and I need to get something built which I don't need to
touch for a very long time.

Jay

http://www.debian.org. You really shouldn't need choplist if you're using
qmail or postfix, though.  They're much better suited for large volumes of
mail.  Also, wasn't there an email server out there called zmailer or
something?  Ah, yes.  Here it is:

Package: zmailer
Section: mail
Installed-Size: 3096
Maintainer: Hector Garcia <hector at debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 2.99.55-1
Provides: mail-transport-agent
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.2.3-7), libdb2 (>= 2:2.7.7-4), libgdbmg1, netbase
Suggests: mail-reader, metamail
Conflicts: mail-transport-agent
Filename: pool/main/z/zmailer/zmailer_2.99.55-1_i386.deb
Size: 1130140
MD5sum: 6dec14e51b37d3151712ded9c3cd58fd
 This is a package that implements an internet Message Transfer Agent
called ZMailer.  It is intended for gateways or mail servers or other  large
site environments that have extreme demands on the abilities of  the mailer.
It was motivated by the problems of the Sendmail design  in such situations.
ZMailer is one of the mailers able to deal with  huge quantities of mail and
is more efficient any other mailer, qmail  included, mostly due to its
excellent queueing algorithms.  .  Most users don't need this package -- for
most users, sendmail or exim or  smail will suffice.

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie
Key fingerprint = B4AB D627 9CBD 687E 7A31  1950 0CC7 0B18 206C 5AFD