On Fri, Oct 19, 2001 at 01:23:24PM -0500, Austad, Jay wrote:
> Has anyone used Smartlist?  How does it perform? (compared to other
> list managers if you know)  The main thing that caught my eye with
> Smartlist is it's choplist program that will group all of the
> recipient's on a list together and put them in their own message (all
> aol.com recipients get grouped in a message, all yahoo.com get grouped
> in another, and so on).  That way, I can pipeline messages to remote
> hosts instead of opening up a separate connection for each message,
> using much less resources.
>
> So, Smartlist users, anyone?
>
> Does anyone know of any other mailing list managers that will split up
> messages like choplist will?

Smartlist is used by the Debian organization to manage all of their
email lists.  Follow the links regarding lists at http://www.debian.org.
You really shouldn't need choplist if you're using qmail or postfix,
though.  They're much better suited for large volumes of mail.  Also,
wasn't there an email server out there called zmailer or something?  Ah,
yes.  Here it is:

Package: zmailer
Section: mail
Installed-Size: 3096
Maintainer: Hector Garcia <hector at debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 2.99.55-1
Provides: mail-transport-agent
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.2.3-7), libdb2 (>= 2:2.7.7-4), libgdbmg1, netbase
Suggests: mail-reader, metamail
Conflicts: mail-transport-agent
Filename: pool/main/z/zmailer/zmailer_2.99.55-1_i386.deb
Size: 1130140
MD5sum: 6dec14e51b37d3151712ded9c3cd58fd
 This is a package that implements an internet Message Transfer Agent
 called ZMailer.  It is intended for gateways or mail servers or other
 large site environments that have extreme demands on the abilities of
 the mailer.  It was motivated by the problems of the Sendmail design
 in such situations. ZMailer is one of the mailers able to deal with
 huge quantities of mail and is more efficient any other mailer, qmail
 included, mostly due to its excellent queueing algorithms.
 .
 Most users don't need this package -- for most users, sendmail or exim or
 smail will suffice.

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie
Key fingerprint = B4AB D627 9CBD 687E 7A31  1950 0CC7 0B18 206C 5AFD