On Sun, Oct 14, 2001 at 01:23:07AM -0500, Bob Tanner wrote:
>First, like many linux or open source things, I volunteer my time. Maintaining
>the list server for the lug is something I want to do. It's something I like to
>do, but it's not my job. It doesn't pay the bills. Please think of these things
>before you flame me for the list server being offline.

As a person who maintains linux related mailing lists Bob, I feel your
pain, and I for one am sorry that people feel the need to suck.

>Second, Real Time donated (as in free beer) the list server to be used for the
>lug. Real Time also donates the connectivity, the monitor, the switch port, the
>power, blah, blah, etc, to keep the list server online. Telling me I don't care
>are the lug is just plain wrong.

Given the current economy this is an even greater gift from real-time, and
I thank you from the bottom of my small, cold, black, fellow sysadmin
heart. If people can't understand or appreciate it then they need to start
they're own list and see for themselves.

>Third, the drive replacement is going out of Real Time's bottom line. Yes, Real
>Time took a drive from it's replacement stock and gave it to the lug. Which
>means, in the end Real Time will have to purchase a new drive to put on the
>shelf to replace the one donated. So there cold hard cash involved to get the
>list server operational. Please think of these things before you send me email
>calling me a "... cheap bastard ..."

Wrong, just plain wrong.

>I normally let these things slide by. Getting hate mail is part of being an
>admin. Mostly it's from people who have never been a admin for a large number of
>users and do not appreciate the work involved in running a network. Like Clay
>says, you are either invisible or in trouble.

You're not in trouble. We understand (at least those of us who are also in
the trenches) that all hardware sucks, and that software very rarely
behaves the way it should.

>I know I'm in trouble :-), but like all good admins, you -know- when you are in
>trouble, you don't need everyone else telling you about it.
>
>I'll step off my soap box now...

Hell no! Get your ass back up there! There's more to say!!