On Thu, 11 Oct 2001 Bob Tanner wrote:
> Quoting Stephen R. Wilcoxon (wilcoxon at bridge.com):
> > What is the database behind the ODBC datasource?  There is no uniform way
> > of extracting a schema from a database.  Oracle's info is all stored in the
> > sys_* views and/or v$* tables.  Sybase's info is all stored in dbo.sys*
> > tables.  MS SQL Server is probably similar to Sybase (or, at least, it was
> > identical at one point).
>
> Ahh, that answers the question. I made a bad assuption that ODBC allowed a open
> standard to the database schema as well.
>
> Behind the ODBC connection is a funky little database called DB/TextWorks. It's
> a db specialized for libraries.

I'm pretty sure ODBC does indeed define a db-independent means to access
the database schema.  However, this functionality might not be supported
by all ODBC drivers.

The following links may be of interest (Win32::ODBC Perl module):

http://www.roth.net/perl/odbc/
http://www.roth.net/perl/odbc/docs/Object/

The Win32::ODBC object provides some meta-data methods such as
TableList(), FieldNames(), and Catalog().

Otherwise, I think it's also possible to directly invoke subroutines
defined in the ODBC DLLs using Visual Basic or Visual C++ ...

Joel