Hey,

Lets put a stop to this, ok?

I like Linux, I use Linux. In the past 8 years, I was responsible for
getting Linux installations going in every SINGLE job I had, where Linux
wasn't already existing.

That said, I've been using UNIX longer than Linux has been around. I am
not a blind follower or a zealot. I am well aware that Linux _can_ perform
just about any function a low-end Sun box can.

I would _still_ not recommend Linux for _anything_ that is mission
critical, HOWEVER TRIVIAL IT MAY SEEM.

This list is about advice and sharing ideas, right? It's not a propaganda
and/or FUD list. Had I said "I wouldn't recommend Linux cause it sucks",
that'd have been wrong. All I said was, it's mission critical, I'd rather
not use Linux on it personally. That's it. No need to overreact. Linux
_can_ handle the job just fine.

I'm not saying Sun hardware is indestructible, either. Heck, I've had to
deal with the SS20 from Hell where every single component had to be
replaced (including the case!) but in general I trust Sun more than i386.
Again, IN GENERAL.

I have no problem whatsoever using Linux as a desktop OS, on Intranets, as
backup servers for major applications, as parts of clusters, etc. I have,
in fact, installed Linux as mail relays, but for internal, departmental
relays.

Again, these are my opinions. They are based on my experiences in past
years.

While I _do_ think a thread comparing Linux/Intel and Sun/Solaris could be
interesting, this has degenerated into little more than a flame war. If
you'd like to flame me, PLEASE USE PERSONAL EMAIL, and spare the list, ok?

-Yaron