On Sat, Oct 06, 2001 at 08:49:17PM -0500, Lorry wrote:
> I just bought a printer, and I need to install ghostscript before I can
> install the drivers for the printer.
> So, I downloaded it and I read the README and so on, and I did 'make'.
>  It goes along just fine for a while and then I get this:
> make: *** No rule to make target 'jpeg/jpeglib.h', needed by
> 'obj/jpeglib.h'. Stop.
>
> I went back to the install directions, and there was nothing about
> fixing an error like this.  I tried all kinds of fixes for everything
> else it mentioned, adding and changing things in the makefile, changing
> it back how it was, changing something else, etc.  Some of the changes
> mess it up so it stops sooner or doesn't work at all, but none of them
> can get it past this point.  I have no idea what that message means or
> how to fix it, so I'm hoping one of you will have some clue.  Thanks!
>
> Lorry
> (oh, and it's Slackware 7.1)

Make sure you have installed the jpeg-devel package. It contains the
header files you need to compile. If it wasn't installed, install it and
re-run the configure script (if it exists), then make clean; make.

If it was installed, look for jpeglib.h. It might be in /usr/include,
but your Makefile is looking in /usr/include/jpeg. If the configure
script figures out the location of jpeglib.h, great. If not, you could
create the directory /usr/include/jpeg and move jpeglib.h there.

Hope this makes sense.