On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 09:25:05PM -0500, Mike Nielsen wrote:
> For the last week or two I'm getting about 2-3 days of uptime before
> my machine is just lock.   Sysrq doesn't work, Numlock goes out, etc. etc.

You could look into something a little more powerful for debugging.
KDB[1] and kernel crash dumps[2] come to mind.  The XFS kernels come
with KDB.

KDB is a just in time debugger.  If the system panics, it will fall into
the debugger.  If the system locks up, try hitting ^A to break into the
debugger.  Make sure that it is enabled in /proc/sys/kernel/kdb.

LKCD will drop a dump file somewhere which you can then poke through
using lcrash.  lcrash is a post-mortem debugger, which is also a REALLY
good learning tool.

Also, a serial console is always helpful when debugging a machine.  That
way you can capture oopsen easily.

[1] http://oss.sgi.com/projects/kdb/
[2] http://sf.net/projects/lkcd/