In message <20011001131632.K9011 at real-time.com>, Amy Tanner writes:
> When I use lpr to print a text file, the text doesn't print
> correctly.  Each line is separate, but with an increasing margin.

This is otherwise known as stair-stepping.  In order to fix the
problem in general, it's easiest to install a filtering package such
as magicfilter or ifhp.  Look into the Printing-HOWTO at linuxdoc.org
for more information.

One way to avoid having to install filters is to use enscript(1).
Instead of using lpr, you would type:

    bash$ enscript -P<print> <file.txt>

The nice thing about enscript is that it has the ability to print
multiple pages per piece of paper:

    bash$ enscript -2rG <file.txt>

This will print the text doc side-by-side on one piece of paper.  If
you have a duplex capable printer, you can add this line to your
/etc/printcap to print duplex automatically:

    lp:main:main-duplex:\
    # ...
        :append_z=duplex:

    main-simplex:\
    # ...
        :append_z=simplex:

Or, you can specify this on the command line with the print job your
sending:

    Excerpt from enscript(1):

       -D key[:value], --setpagedevice=key[:value]
               Pass  a  page  device  definition to the generated
               PostScript output.  If no value is given, key  key
               is removed from definitions.

               For example, command

               enscript -DDuplex:true foo.txt

               prints file foo.txt in duplex (two side) mode.

               Page device operators are implementation dependant
               but  they  are  standardized.   See  section  PAGE
               DEVICE OPTIONS for details.

    Exerpt from lpr(1):
       -Z options

       -o options
            Pass the specified  options  to  the  print  spooler.
            Used  when additional or specialized information must
            be provided to the spooler.

Good luck!

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie
Key fingerprint = B4AB D627 9CBD 687E 7A31  1950 0CC7 0B18 206C 5AFD