> >	AFAIK, that involves being able to run on a ccNUMA architecture.
> >

> There's a difference between running on NUMA, and running *efficiently*
> on NUMA...

I think I said as much in the sentence after that one. :)

if you dig around on the SGI website (the 'Open Source' section); they do
indeed have some results from a 128-proc linux machine. yes, it runs; no,
it's not very efficient. doesn't scale very well to multiple processors,
when dealing with I/O-bound tasks. (in fact, it's pretty bad at multiple
'bonnie' processes). for processor-bound tasks, it's not bad tho.

I still think it'll eventually get a lot better; but I'll admit that IRIX on
MIPS on SGI's hardware, may always be able to beat Linux on MIPS on SGI's
hardware, for really big ( hundreds of procs ) systems.

considering that SGI is talking about building IA64 'bricks' for their
Origin systems, so customers can run Linux on them, the future of big SGI
installations is starting to look really hazy in places...

Carl Soderstrom
--
Network Engineer
Real-Time Enterprises