You should probably download the drivers from nvidia.com and install those.
The default nvidia drivers with Mandrake are fairly limited in what they can
do.  Plus, with an MX or higher card, you can turn on hardware rendered
cursor shadowing.  :)

There's a readme at the bottom of the driver download page that tells you
how to install it.  I just grabbed the source rpm's and did an rpm --rebuild
on each one.  Then install the compiled rpms with rpm -ivh (they are located
in /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i686).

Then you change the driver line in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 from "nv" to
"nvidia".  Add the "glx" module to the module section and remove the line
for "dri" if it's in there.

Restart X with ctrl-alt-backspace.  Hopefully you'll see the nvidia logo
screen flash when it starts up.

The driver that comes with mandrake for geforce cards has sucky 3d support.