Funny you mention this
We were discussing this the other day on #tclug
I emailed Dell about this same issue, so far no response. I was assuming their answer would be as you stated, which is getting me to think. This seems to me to be monopolistic. Forcing the consumer to purchase software licenses wether or not they want to seems to me like nothing short of illegal and anticompetitive as well as possibly violating anti-trust laws.
However, outside of contacting our nice Mr Mike Hatch, MN Atty General, or possibly a good corporate lawyer, I can only fume in my anti-M$ anger and wish there was a better way.
Anyone know (or have strong feelings) about the legality of forcing customers to purchase M$ licenses?
"I just wanna buy a damn laptop!"
-Kevin