On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 12:35:12PM -0600, Simeon Johnston wrote:
> I'm assuming that I can log out of the system while this is working?

Yup.

> What does the nohup

do?  Normally, when a process's parent dies, the child receives the
HUP (hangup) signal and the child then exits as well.  `nohup` is
basically a wrapper around the command that's called in its arguments
which insulates it against SIGHUP and thus prevents it from
terminating when the parent (i.e., your shell) exits.

> so...
> $ make dep clean bzImage > make.log 2>&1 &
> will background it and I'll be able to logout completely and check the
> log when I get back.

Nope.  Since you left out the nohup, it'll die when you log out.

> But I only really want the errors for a kernel compile.  I can't seem to
> find that in the man page.
> guess -
>
> $ make dep clean bzImage 2&>make.err

$ nohup make dep clean bzImage 2&>make.err >/dev/null &

If you don't redirect stdout, nohup will automatically send it to
a file named nohup.out.  The & at the end of the line is what
actually puts the process in the background; nohupped programs can
still run in the foreground, although that's not how it's normally
used.

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Mr. Slippery