Ah the joy's of Linux basics.  Sometime I feel pretty stupid... well...
most of the time.

I'm assuming that I can log out of the system while this is working?
What does the nohup

I mostly want this for security reasons.  I want to start things at
night and then logout completely.  Or start something and walk away
knowing that someone can't just walk up and fsck things up.

so...
$ make dep clean bzImage > make.log 2>&1 &
will background it and I'll be able to logout completely and check the
log when I get back.

But I only really want the errors for a kernel compile.  I can't seem to
find that in the man page.
guess -

$ make dep clean bzImage 2&>make.err

?  I dunno...

screen also opens some interesting possibilities.

sim