On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 10:59:34AM -0600, Austad, Jay wrote:
> Yeah, those 1500 series boxes are a steal for the price.  We got a bunch of
> 1550's with dual 1Ghz procs for like $1500 each.  They are about twice as
> fast as our old quad proc 6350's, and a good deal faster than the dual
> PIII733 2450's, for a fraction of the price.  The 6350's ran around $20k
> each when we bought them, and 2450's ran around $7k or so.  They get win2k
> on them though, not linux.  I'm trying to score a couple to stick some
> FreeBSD lovin' to.

It sure doesn't seem like you can get dual 1ghz 1550 on their website
unless you get a FAIR amount of rebates.

1550 basic no extras: $1399
1GHz upgrade $99
extra 1GHz proc $599

oh yeah, nice machine with 128 MB ram (in two dimms!)

that's with no-nothing installed. sheesh.

*looks at what he can get for $2097 elsewhere*

Dual PIII 1GHz w/ 1GB ECC sdram. 2*18GB 15K RPM scsi drives.

So what do you want? Dell or something better for your money?

Dell might have good customer support and exchange policy, but what
does that help you when your website/network has been down for 1 day?

> Does anyone know of any 2u rackmount Dual Athlon Systems?  I really want to
> see what kind of performance I can get out of one of those.  As a webserver
> (running IIS), we benchmarked an AMD 1700+ XP box with IDE and 512MB ram,
> against a 1550 with dual PIII 1Ghz's and 1GB ram, and the AMD box was
> actually about 40% faster serving out dynamic content (on a single proc!).

so what does that tell you? Not much. Except that IIS might not work that
well on SMP architechture? (Is that something somebody knos anything about?)

--
  Thomas Eibner <http://thomas.eibner.dk/> DnsZone <http://dnszone.org/>
  mod_pointer <http://stderr.net/mod_pointer>