Yeah, those 1500 series boxes are a steal for the price.  We got a bunch of
1550's with dual 1Ghz procs for like $1500 each.  They are about twice as
fast as our old quad proc 6350's, and a good deal faster than the dual
PIII733 2450's, for a fraction of the price.  The 6350's ran around $20k
each when we bought them, and 2450's ran around $7k or so.  They get win2k
on them though, not linux.  I'm trying to score a couple to stick some
FreeBSD lovin' to.

Does anyone know of any 2u rackmount Dual Athlon Systems?  I really want to
see what kind of performance I can get out of one of those.  As a webserver
(running IIS), we benchmarked an AMD 1700+ XP box with IDE and 512MB ram,
against a 1550 with dual PIII 1Ghz's and 1GB ram, and the AMD box was
actually about 40% faster serving out dynamic content (on a single proc!).

Jay

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/011119/192373_1.html

--
Paul Overby