I've found screen to be an extremely useful tool for things like this.
screen gives you the ability to start multiple virtual terminals
within a screen session.  You can then detach from the entire screen
process, leaving it running.  You can reattach to the session later
from elsewhere.  It is even possible to detach the session without
being on the session.

screen is a GNU tool, so if your distro doesn't have it, you can get
it from your local GNU mirror.

HTH,

Eric