On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 09:34:51AM -0600, Simeon Johnston wrote:
> I have been wondering about something lately and can't figure it out.
> How do I background a process, say a kernel compile, so I don't have to
> sit there and watch it i.e. log in - start process - log out - log in
> later - find process done and everyones happy.

If you intend to background it immediately, try this:

make > make.log 2>&1 &

Then you can watch it by `tail -f make.log`

If you decide after the fact, it's not quite as clean.  Hit CTRL-Z to
suspend the program then type `bg` to background the task.  The output
will still stream to the screen, so you may want to close the terminal.
If there is a problem, then you won't be able to see the error message.

Nate