It will most certainly not work as a module if all your partitions are
reiserfs.  It needs to be able to read the filesystem the modules are located
on, and thus the kernel must have one fs built in, which should be your root
partition (and where your modules should be).  Of course, there are always
exceptions out there, but as a general rule, thats how it works.

As for why you can boot with an all reiserfs, I had the same trouble in
2.4.11+.  I have not been able to get a single build on my system to boot.
So here I sit at 2.4.9 and am pretty happy thus far. I have heard a few other
strange things with the newer kernels anyway.

A little off topic, but has anyone noticed the absence of a development
branch in the kernel? As a result, it seems more bugs have poped up.

Jay