Could someone explain to me in a nutshell how 10mb and 100mb co-exist
happily on the same ethernet?  For example, I have 3PCs and a DSL modem on
my local network.  1 PC and the modem have 10mb cards and 2 of the PCs have
100mb cards.  When I transfer a file from one of the 100mb machines it takes
about 5 times less time than when I transfer to the 10mb machine, so it
certainly appears that the network is capable of both speeds.  Evidently the
10mb is able to detect and handle collisions with the 100mb and vice versa.
Perhaps it's because they both use the same carrier frequency; if they use
such a thing?  Also, is a 5x speed difference what I should expect?  Not
10x?

Take pity on me.  I'm a software guy.

Mike