I played with the gnu-dawrwin stuff for a few hours one day. I was very
excited to have found it. But I was quickly disapointed at the
implementation.I tried doing the install from within os X with little
luck. I also nabbed the install iso and did a clean install of
gnu-darwin. It sucked pretty well. The setup was nothing put a bunch of
deb's unpacking themselves. In the end you are left to a shell with
litte/nothing to guide you. It was quite a let down. Granted I did not
spend a huge amount of time with it, I did invest some time, and my
conclusion is that gnu-darwin is still very immature. The mailing list
is also quite sparce.
On a brighter note. FINK kicks alot of tail. I really really like fink.
The maintainer is on OPN and is quite helpful. The utility is fairly
limited in as far as what is ported, but it is well documented and
robust. It is built on the dpkg suite from the popular Debian distro.
Also, let me say, mac hardware rules. And anyone that would like to chip
in to the buy spencer and IPOD fund may do so. Please send cash.