On Fri, 2001-11-16 at 09:35, Robert Sinland wrote:
> I have finally installed Linux on my newest box.  Mandrake 8.1 in fact.
> The reason I am not posting under Linux is that it can not use my modem
> for some darn reason...
>   The modem is a USR model # 3CP5610A PCI type.
> I have searched and searched, and been assured that it's not a winmodem.
> That much I know, it even says on the box it works with Linux (kernel 2.3 and
> higher)
> I know Linux has a few hurdle's to overcome yet and this may be one.
> I used to run Linux as my daily OS back in the early slackware days, but got
> lured away by games and stuff like Direct-PC..
> Now I'm tired of fighting viri and don't play games as much...:)
> I have a few other issues with Mandrake, but nothing as big as this one.
> No modem = no net....
> Any Ideas?
> RS

Did your modem come with its own driver source code for you to compile,
or is it supposed to be included in the kernel source? If you've got
source code, did you compile and install it? If it's in the kernel
source, did Mandrake include it in *their* kernel (either as a module or
right in the kernel itself)?

I will assume you have already run HardDrake, and Mandrake is not
automatically detecting the modem, or any modem, on any COM port...

Dave
--
	Take the folks at Coca-Cola.  For many years, they were content
to sit back and make the same old carbonated beverage.  It was a good