"Jason" <ming at mongo.evil-overlords.com> writes:

> Ok so I am a bit of a neophyte when it comes to running Named and what not,
> but I got it running and good for my domain. When I was reading some of the
> docs online I came across a link that talked about how to do the reverse
> lookups with a classless subnet....anybody have an idea how to do this or
> can you tell me where to find some docs to read about it? thanks a bunch.

You need two entries for your domain in named.boot, if you have the newer
named it's named.conf and the entries are similar:
primary   mn.mtu.net      mn.mtu.net
primary       42.168.192.IN-ADDR.ARPA 192.168.42

Then the file mn.mtu.net looks like this:
@               IN      SOA     eggplant.mn.mtu.net.        hostmaster.eggplant.mn.mtu.net. (
                        2000021001 ; serial
                        28800 ; refresh
                        7200 ; retry
                        604800 ; expire
                        86400 ; default_ttl
                        )
@               IN      NS      eggplant
@               IN      MX      10      eggplant
localhost       IN      A       127.0.0.1
router         IN      A       192.168.42.100

And the file 192.168.42 looks like so:
@               IN      SOA     eggplant.mn.mtu.net.        hostmaster.eggplant.mn.mtu.net. (
                        2000021001 ; serial
                        28800 ; refresh
                        14400 ; retry
                        3600000 ; expire
                        86400 ; default_ttl
                        )
@               IN      NS      eggplant.mn.mtu.net.
100             IN      PTR     router.mn.mtu.net.

Any you have a domain with reverse pointers, very handy for speeding up ssh
connects.
Jon Schewe | http://mtu.net/~jpschewe | jpschewe at mtu.net