OK, after lots of fooling around this is what I have.  Joshua, your script
only worked if a disk was in the drive & also only worked once, could not
eject & then insert a disk again.  However, you led me to this:
cd /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0
mknod disk b 3 64
mknod part4 b 3 68
ln -s /dev/hdb /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/disk
ln -s /dev/hdb4 /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/part4

This works pretty darn good.  It is, so far, surviving logout/on & reboots.
The only problems are that user desktop config files (KDE) are reverting to
the device /mnt/zip instead of /dev/hdb4 when they logout or reboot.  The
root desktop config file stays unchanged.  Also, no eject command is listed
when right clicking the root desktop config file.  The user desktop config
files list eject & operate correctly.  Do you think this is some kind of
permissions problem?  Thanks a ton for everybodies help.  I vowed I would
make this work.  You guys always say, "Linux, you can fix it".

What I typed works better in a shell script but it appeared to be ok for
you too. So tell me, did it work for you? If it did, put that into a
script and run it once on boot. It's a stupid hack for that bug.

So here's what you are really doing.
(a) create a device node to point to whatever needs pointing to
(b) read a bit from the device and throw away the result. It doesn't
matter if there is a disc in the drive or not. The point is to do the
read.
(c) remove that device node.

You could write that dd command as:

dd if=$FILE bs=1 count=1 >/dev/null 2>&1

to make the errors go away also.

Joshua b. Jore
Carl,
I don't have a devfs linux kernel around to verify this with but here's
how I remember doing this. You *don't* create the device node in /dev. Do
it in /root or /tmp. The thing is, all you have to do is do some IO and
devfs will notice the drive.

Here's an idea:

FILE=/root/tmp/hd??
mknod $FILE b ? ??
dd if=$FILE of=/dev/null bs=1 count=1
rm $FILE

Obviously that does absolutely nothing of any real interest *except*
force the system to actually look for something at that device node.
You'll notice a matching /dev/hd?? symlink will have just appeared. It's
magic.

Joshua b. Jore
Minneapolis Ward 3, precinct 10
http://www.greentechnologist.org