On Wed, 2001-11-14 at 09:57, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:
> 	I have to admit, that even after being around Nate's unbridled
> enthusiasm, and helping him play with some of the stuff he's gotten; I still
> mistrust the whole buisness. :) I'd rather run cable if at all possible.
> Like Bill said, that way you know the limit of your range. :) (you also have
> a pretty good idea that people aren't snooping your connection, without the
> hassle of setting up IPSec and the like). It's also cheaper, capable of
> higher speed, and less prone to interference (yeah, they say it's gotten
> better lately; but I'm not fully convinced).

For most home use it's not exactly a big deal. I never connect to my
machines at work while on wireless without IPSec, and it's kinda tough
for people to sniff out my key becuase I only have my access point on
when I'm using it, which isn't real often (mostly only when I'm in the
kitchen and wanna play mp3's off my laptop, or feel like surfing from
the can or my deck :-)

> > I just looked up the Wireless HOWTO on LDP and it said the machines have
> > to be visible to each other.
> 	nope. walls will degrade the signal; but won't stop it. you should
> be able to go throughout a house, no problem. just don't try it in a
> warehouse full of car parts. :)

Actually metal isn't nearly as bad as something like a bundle of
electrical wires, a cluster of cat-3 punch blocks and stuff like that.
I've never had a problem in my house though.