On Tuesday 13 November 2001 18:00, you wrote:
> Andy Zbikowski (Zibby) wrote:
>  >
>  >My suggestion, get some 802.11 gear. My former roomie had it, and it
>
> was a
>
>  >hell of alot nicer than yet another cable.
>
> I was hoping no one would say this.
> But this is what I should do.  I just spent hours on my home network wiring
> after adding another computer in another area of the house.  The wiring is
> a royal mess as I have a lot of wood paneling that you can't cut and patch
> like drywall.
>
> But does it really work?
>
>  >If you must get wired gear, look long and hard for something without a
>  >dongle. :)
>
> I was looking at those, but I figured I'd break the connector off and
> really be up the creek.
> You can replace a dongle.
>
> Paul
I haven't gone to 802.11 on my latop but I did on my wife's system. Just when
we were moving into our house (new for us but 90+ years old) Best Buy was
clearing out the SoHoWare Netblaster II stuff. I got one PCI card (nice
because it comes with an antenna) and an access point for about $200 total. I
wish I had purchased a PCMCIA card at the time. Then I could surf from the
deck!  I saw mention of line-of-sight in one of the posts. Not true. I used
to run 2Mb 802.11 webgear cards on three seperate floors in Duluth with no
problems.

As far as wired net cards I swear by Linksys and D-Link (both dongles). I
used to use thinwire so I have combo cards. On one the plastic part of the
socket broke so it was hit or miss sometimes. Eventually it just died. But my
other two have worked flawlessy in several laptops. NE2000 compatible and
supported by the card services included with SuSE. (I think I ran Caldera on
one of the laptops at one point and it worked well also.)

--
Jack Ungerleider
jack at jacku.com