On Mon, Nov 12, 2001 at 11:33:42AM -0600, Austad, Jay wrote:
> Where's the cheapest place to buy ethernet wall jacks?  In town would
> be best, but online is fine too.

Cheapest?  Not sure.  Never went "shopping" for them.  I just go to Home
Depot.  They sell the modular plugins.  Perhaps a bit more than you want
to spend, but they're nice quailty and very flexible.

> Also, instead of running a big bundle of cat 6 up to my attic, can I
> just put a cross connect panel on each end and run a 100 pair in
> between?  I don't think I have enough room to run as many separate
> cables as I would like.  Where would I get a 100 pair cable?  I know
> they make them, but short of ripping one out of the ceiling here at
> work, I don't know where to find them.

Look to telco providers for that kind of thing.  Gr[ae]ybar might be
able to help.  If you're going to go that route, they would also have
wall plates/jacks for you, as well as punchdowns and open/wall-mount
racks.

Remember to get your hands on a cable snake (similar to a plumber's
snake).

Why not consider going wireless if it's going to be that much of a
hassle?  By the time you get done working on this wired project, you
could have invested you time in something a bit more worthwhile.

Or, just wire up each room you need access from with one jack, then use
a switch/hub from there to get more access points per room.

I suppose the first question should have been, "Are you building a
house?"  In which case, run all the cable you need!  Go crazy!  Hell,
I'd even run fiber, just to be insane!

Anyway, enough blathering..time to get back to work.

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie
Key fingerprint = B4AB D627 9CBD 687E 7A31  1950 0CC7 0B18 206C 5AFD