On Saturday 10 November 2001 01:11 pm, you wrote:

> I had users who outright told me that they didn't want to learn how to use
> their computer better.

Most users only want to know how to perform thier job with less
work...training is often seen as "work" and the benefits do not always
directly impact the user to such a degree as to make thier job easier.  At
least they don't see it this way.

I work with news reporters at Fox29.  They have $1200 PC's on thier desks.
They use about 10% of it's capabilities.  They prefer to know just enough to
get thier jobs done.  I don't really blame them.  They are not computer
experts and shouldn't have to be.  It's simply a tool.  I look at it this
way: software needs to be like a game.  Games are easy at first, the levels
are quicker and the learning curve is low.  As the game progresses things
become more difficult and take longer to accomplish.  User software should
follow the same ideology.  Don't give users all the capabilites of the XYZ
software package until they can utilize them proficiently.  Levels of
complexity within an "office suite" could then be "turned on/off" to match
the users level of knowledge.

I'm not a sysadmin by job title.  However, I do perform much the same job as
a professional (without much of the pay!).  I administer to approx. 50 users
on Win2k clients and NT servers.  I also have 2 SCO Unix servers and a
FreeBSD video server.  Happy Happy Joy Joy...