On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 09:35:54PM -0600, andy at theasis.com wrote:
> > I think that Linux has a long way to go before it reaches the corporate
> > desktop and the typical home setting. I think this is because of Linux's
> > "sysadminitis". Linux is a great OS. It is geek-spectaular and all that. The
> > problem is that I'm not a sysadmin, nor do I ever want to be one. I'm a
>
> The corporate desktop doesn't tend to be admin'd by users. Most
> corporations of any size strongly discourage that.

Absolutely.  As one who has been sucked into the tarpit of being paid
to sysadmin, I can assure you that I neither expect nor allow my
users to admin their own machines.  I give them a working machine
and, if they need software that wasn't already installed (a rare
event, since I take the trouble to find out what they need before
giving them the box), they tell me and, after a few minutes with ssh
and apt-get (and, occasionally, vi), it's installed and they can get
on with their life.

> I think this is conducive to a much more
> efficient admin environment, since it integrates better with a sensible
> communication mechanism (as opposed to banging on the door and saying, "My
> netscape won't print".

They may not bang on my door, but I still get plenty of calls asking,
"Is Netscape down?" when people can't get their email.

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Mr. Slippery