On Sat, 2001-11-10 at 03:21, Bob Tanner wrote:
> One of the problem with computers (but Linux and Windows, heck all other OSs) is
> that they are simple things that people can "just plug in" and it works. I blame
> MS for this. And frankly, it's not true.

I agree 100%.

> I like to use the car analogy. It's pretty "simple". Almost everyone has one.
> But how many people work on their cars? Not many. Heck, I don't even change my
> own oil. I take it to a _professional_ and they do it right, they do it in 20
> mins or less and it cost me $21.95.
>
> I'm not a car mechanic; a car repair professional, so I take my car to a
> professional. The time and effort it would take me to chain my own oil would
> cost me for more then $21.95.
>
> Why should you do any less for your computer? If you aren't an admin (car
> mechanic) take your computer (car) to a professional (Real Time) for service.

Again, right-on.

Not only that, but people take special training classes to learn how to
drive their car, and must be licensed according to the laws in their
state to prove they are qualified to do so (though some might argue that
the ability to pass a test does not make either a safe or a responsible
driver, but I digress...). But people, for some reason, think they can
just but a PC at Best Buy, take it home, plug in a couple of cables, and
be ready to use their PC without any prior training or experience. The
fact is, to use a PC well -- to maximize its usefulness -- everyone
should at least read a book or two (Windows for Dummies, assuming they
are using a preinstalled Windows system, and maybe a medium-skill-level
book as they progress), and for those who expect to use PCs on a daily
basis for their work, they should take classes on both Windows, and the
major applications they will be using.

Of course, getting companies to send their employees to software
training classes can be like pulling teeth, especially in the current
market -- why is it always the training budget that is first to be cut
when money is tight?

> I'm I the only one that see the market like this?

Nope :-)

But in my experience, most people want their PC to be like their VCR.
They may or may not get around to figuring out how to set the clock, and
they really don't care that much about it, as long as it plays, records,
and the remote works like they expect it to.

In other words, they want their PC to be a low- to medium-complexity
electronic appliance that always works, requires little to no
maintenance, and has a user interface that is so simple a child can
figure it out -- at least for the basic functions. How many of the
buttons on your VCR remote do you actually use on a regular basis? How
many other buttons are there, where you know what they do, but just
never need the functionality? How many would you need to look up in the
User Guide to figure out what they do, because you virtually never use
them? This is what most of the users I work with are looking for in a
PC.

To summarize my ramblings, I think we need to change the current
thinking of most consumers and businesses, and show them that proper
computer/software training is not only a valuable asset, but in fact is
absolutely necessary for maximized benefit of PC use, both in the home
and at the office.

Dave
--
You will stop at nothing to reach your objective, but only because your
brakes are defective.