Quoting Florin Iucha (florin at iucha.net):
> On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 03:15:14PM -0800, Mike Bresnahan wrote:
> > Another thing to note is that some (all?) JDBC 2.0 compliant drivers support
> > connection pooling.  This is generally a huge performance win.  A lot of
> > time can otherwise be wasted opening and closing physical connections.
> > Without such support I end up coding my own connection pooling is most
> > cases, and thus JDBC 2.0 saves me the effort.
>
> Connection pooling is nice when you implement your own security layer.
> But when each connection uses different acounts, then it's almos useless.
>
> And implementing your own security the _RIGHT_(tm) way it's _HARD_.

Nice comment. In all the java based applications I have written I have never run
into this issue. It kind of shocked me.

Most of the apps I work on authentication is handled at application layer, not
the database layer.

Is this uncommon to everyone else?

More or less the DB is just persistent storage.

--
Minneapolis St. Paul Twin Cities MN        | Phone : (952)943-8700
http://www.mn-linux.org Minnesota Linux    | Fax   : (952)943-8500