Quoting Mike Bresnahan (mbresnah at visi.com):
> > _Thank you_ - now, if you want to change to another database it's enough
> > to change the java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection and Class.forName?
>
> Yes.  Unfortunatley you have to know the name of driver class and the URL
> syntax specific to the JDBC driver.  I usually encapsulate this in some sort
> of database lookup class.  I believe this is not an issue if you use EJBs

Can just stick into the Properties file too. The .get() it and it works pretty
slick.

> > Another thing I'm wondering about is how placeholders work in Java?
> > (I'm assuming it has got that)
>
> What do you mean by "placeholders"?

He's talking about the prepareStatement(). Under any modern servlet container
you normally don't even have to worry about it. Most have connection pooling,
caching, etc..
--
Minneapolis St. Paul Twin Cities MN        | Phone : (952)943-8700
http://www.mn-linux.org Minnesota Linux    | Fax   : (952)943-8500