On Friday 09 November 2001 00:28, you wrote:
> Hi all, it's me again . I'm still having problems. I did order Debian, but
> from the product descriptions, it won't have much in the way of server
> software. Is this accurate? Oh, well, as long as I can get my printer to
> work. Speaking of which, I tried SuSE again. I also tried Mandrake Linux
> 6.0 I had laying around. Mandrake would not take. I tried SuSE, as an
> update. This would not take, either. I tried SuSE as a new install. It took
> but I still can't get a printer. The error messages when I type LPR are
> that I don't have LPD installed or I am not root. I also get a console log
> error, "Get_Local_Host: 'localhost' IP address not available!" Well, I hate
> to disagree, but I put 127.0.0.1 as the IP address and 255.255.255.0 ias
> the subnet mask when I was configuring the network card. I also went back
> and manually installed the LPD package. I still get the same errors. What
> directories might I need to check to make sure everything is ok?

A couple of things to consider:

1. Using YAST install CUPS and then use the YAST CUPS configuration.
2. If you don't want to use CUPS make sure you have the lprold package
installed. This provides lpr, lpd, etc. These are installed to /usr/sbin.

I had problems getting lprold to work with a SuSE 7.2 box and LaserJet on
with a network card. I switched to CUPS and all was sweetness and light.

As always YMMV. BTW what type of printer are you using?

--
Jack Ungerleider
jack at jacku.com