Hear Hear!
You got it in one.

I got lots of the same feelings about the old CP/M os (Ya, I know - times
change) as I do now for Linux...
When I wrote docs for other geeks I could assume a high level of ability.
People were making plotters, graphics systems, and all kinds of nifty-cools
toys.
Being a hacker was a good thing; we all knew the secret handshake.
(Do not feel bad if nobody showed it to you - this is how it works:
A wave to a screen with the declaration - hey, check this out.
The other half of the conversation is - Cool, how did you get it to do that?
The best part is you knew they would be able follow the explanation.
And suggest improvements.)

Before the suit type folks were all concerned about how well computer would
fit in their business.
Then things changed.
Docs had to be written for Homer Simpson to follow.
If he could be bothered to read them.

All the cool things people at meetings were doing sort-of got replaced by
clueless newbies doing DBase biz apps.
Then the PC came out and everything went *way* downhill.
I quit going to meetings.

The Linux universe seems to have picked up the folks I used to know.
There is a general appreciation for cool things.
Its OK to be excited about shiny toys with funny little knobs.
Somehow I suspect the average biz droid would ask: how does a skinnable
desktop add anything to the bottom line?
Won't that just add support costs for no ROI?
Baaa, let them have XP.
It's the punishment they so richly deserve.

There was the question raised: "Why are so many people so concerned about
Linux being accepted by the corporate world?"
Most of us make a living doing this stuff and we would prefer to work with
the best tools.
The XP droids get confused by something they can't understand; they are
afraid their heads will explode if they put any new information in. (I see
this a real risk for these folks)
I don't know that this will happen until the Micro$oft greed things kills
the goose that lays the golden egg.
I see the first real crack in the armor as the Apple os X thing.
This will grow the critical mass of *nix converts.
Some of the talented MAC users may contribute to the Linux world.
Then again, maybe not. But I can hope.

Mark Browne