On Friday 09 November 2001 13:31, mbutler wrote:

>      My curiousity was aroused by a mail I got from a friend, and I wanted
> to know:  what is the future for Linux?

I'm becoming more convinced every day that the future of personal computing
is more along the lines of Palm OS than Linux.  Even though I'm personally
very happy with the little KDE world on my tray table, I've met enough normal
users to know that they don't have the patience to learn an OS that's written
by and for large corporations, let alone one that's written by and for
computer geeks.  And they shouldn't have to.

Servers are a different matter.  I think there's every reason for Linux to
dominate the server market in the near future and the foreseeable future...
until we have some major breakthrough in computing that makes Linux
irrelevant.

I still have a lot of hope for Squeak as an environment for personal
computing, though so far it's still much too geeky... I guess I should get
off my butt and learn Smalltalk so I can help develop it.
(http://www.squeak.org)  --Ben