On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 10:25:07AM -0600, Hvidsten, Leif wrote:

> Your motherboard manual should say which PCI slots share IRQs.  That way you can put your card(s) in the PCI slot(s) that won't share IRQs to eliminate possible conflicts.  For example, my IWill KK266-R (KT133A chipset) is set up so that AGP/PCI 1/PCI 5 share an IRQ, PCI 2/PCI 6 share an IRQ, PCI 3/on-board sound share, and PCI 4/on-board RAID controller share.  This setup will vary greatly from mobo to mobo....my Abit KT7A-RAID I used to have (based on the same KT133A chipset) was setup differently.  I can see which IRQs the particular PCI card or on-board device will take within the BIOS menus.  In one of the menus it will list something like USB Controller taking IRQ 11, Multimedia card taking IRQ 5, etc..(because I forced it to that IRQ in the BIOS).  One other tip, especially when you have USB and a HighPoint controller enabled, is to disable in the BIOS whatever you don't need.  Do you need the LPT/parallel printer port enabled?  Disabling will usually free up IRQ 7.  !
> Do you need your serial ports?  Disabling both will free up IRQ's 3 and 4, if I remember correctly.  Forcing PCI slots to take certain IRQs may help as well, if offered in your BIOS.

No matter how many PCI slots do you have and how many IRQs do you have
(on a regular board, that is... there are boards with multiple PCI busses),
all the PCI boards on a bus can have one of the 4 interrupts: A, B, C and D.
The mapping between A, B, C and D and the interrupts we know (and hate)
3, 4, 5, 11, 12 whatever, happens at boot time and is done by the BIOS or the
OS.

florin

--

"If it's not broken, let's fix it till it is."

41A9 2BDE 8E11 F1C5 87A6  03EE 34B3 E075 3B90 DFE4