Yeah, it's not an IRQ problem.  I removed everything but the video card and
disabled all of the onboard stuff, and I still have the same problem.  It
seems to only lock during heavy disk access.  I only have a 300W power
supply (160W combined), and the athlon 1700+ takes around 90 watts, so that
leaves only another 70 watts for disk, board, and video card.

All of the recommended power supplies on AMD's site have over 200W of
combined power.  I'm going to Micro Center to see what I can find today.
Hopefully that's my problem.