What type of modem is it? Is there any software that goes with it?

What I do is use the caller-id features of my modem, along with cid. I wrote a script to monitor the cid log, and if a call comes in from a certain number I have it dialup to my ISP. I use the dial-on-demand features of pppd, so it will automatically disconnect after a period of inactivity.

Or you could just have it dialup every hour for a few minutes and then disconnect if there isn't any activity. Then you just need to login to your box before it disconnects.