At one time, I used something similar to this.  What I would do is
dial the modem and let it ring a certain number of times (say 2 or 3),
wait 10 or 15 seconds and then dial it again for another ring or two.
If it saw that pattern, it would connect to my ISP and then email my
IP address to me at work.

I don't recall exactly what package I used to do this, but it may have
been xringd.  It hasn't been worked on for more than two years, but
maybe it doesn't need it.  I thought there might be something else,
but I can't find it right now.

HTH,

Eric