Thanks Carl, that's pretty close to the command I read about.  (dd
if=/dev/hda[x]  bs=512 count=1 of=linux.lnx)
This should work with GRUB as well, correct?  LILO doesn't seem to like the
fact that I'm booting from a hard drive on a Promise controller.
My boot sector would thus be hde6.  Sorry Florin, I am booting XP by
default, my wife is not as understanding as yours :-)  What do you suggest
for a swap partition size with 512mg of system memory?