From: tclug-list-admin at mn-linux.org
[mailto:tclug-list-admin at mn-linux.org]On Behalf Of Mike Hicks
Sent: Saturday, November 03, 2001 3:22 PM
To: tclug-list at mn-linux.org
Subject: Re: [TCLUG] logging on to a NT domain?

Rodd Ahrenstorff <rahrenstorff at yahoo.com> wrote:

> This is my first attempt at networking with LInux.  Ok...I have clean
> install of Mandrake 8.1 at work.  Our NT based LAN uses a DHCP server,
> and this serves up the IP address to my Linux client just fine.  I can
> get out on the internet through our gateway router.   However I cannot
> browse the network since I cannot login to the PDC.  I know I must use
> SAMBA.  I checked my installed packages and SAMBA client shows up.

What exactly are you looking to do here?  Do you need to browse the
network, or just access the resources on the network?  I haven't seen many
good browsing tools for Linux, but you can certainly access things if you
know what to go for.

Also, a new tool (library?) called `winbind' was recently released to
allow Linux users to log in using their NT usernames and passwords.

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   What's that strange orange
/ \/ \(_)| ' // ._\  / - \(_)/ ./| ' /(__   glow from our room? Oh,