On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 10:03:08PM -0800, Marc Olivier wrote:
> Hello.
> I'm in over my head. I have Suse Linux 7.3 up and running on my system, but
> I can't make heads or tails of the documentation regarding setting up a
> network. I can tell that the network card is working by the light on my
> Ethernet hub, but that's all. I think I'm supposed to set up a static IP
> address, because I can't get DHCP to work. However, to get the IP address I
> need to do something with a Name Server. The documentation looks like
> something was written in machine code, and I have no idea what it means or
> what to do with it. Is this something that can be covered at a meeting?

Hi Marc:

I have a couple of questions:

What sort of setup do you have with your ISP?  Your contract should say
whether or not you have static IPs assigned to you.  This is pretty
important.

Next question is the layout of your system -- is it just one computer
on a dialup, or what?

Can't really make meaningful comments until those are settled.

--
johntrammell at yahoo.com | 78BA 706C C5F9 9321 E7C4 933B D063 907B A88E 924B