> 	I personally think "y'all" is a useful linguistic construct, which
> otherwise is lacking from the English language. the German 'ihr' means
> roughly the same thing as "y'all", and they use it quite a bit.
> 	I fail to see why English should lack a good term for "all of you",
> when other languages have it.

English does have a term for 'all of you': 'you'.  'You' is both plural and
singular, depending on the context it's used in.  'ihr' auf Englisch is
'you'.  Just playing the devil's advocate here :)  I personally prefer
'y'all' as well.  Although, it sounds strange when said out loud, IMO.

Gabe
Gabe Turner                                             gabe at msi.umn.edu
SGI Origin Systems Administrator,
University of Minnesota Supercomputing Institute
 for Digital Simulation and Advanced Computation         www.msi.umn.edu