At risk of turning this into a discussion of the English language...

I have to somewhat agree with you. Although, my English teacher would
disagree.  She would say, that since this is already sexist language (male
dominant), the masculine term can also be used as the generic term.  The risk
of using the language in such a way is sounding sexist (ie- its ok to address
a mixed crowd as "gentlemen").  This is much like Spanish, where words that
are feminine are for females only, while the masculine words are for men, or
a mixed group.

But you are right, we need more gender nutral words like "y'all".

Off topic question to the people who use "y'all": is the plural to y'all,
"all y'all"?

Jay

--
Jay Kline
list at slushpupie.com
http://www.slushpupie.com
--
Let me put it this way: today is going to be a learning experience.