> am going to try using that.  I am not sure how the archive bit works,
> but thought I'd start the incremental process by using the -N option
> with a logfile.

Archive bit is either on or off. It is set off by your backup software,
and on by your os when a file is written to.

I'm fairly certin that smbfs can't read this bit, but smbclient can.

I thought of another reason why you're backups might fail. When you login
to the server via smbfs or smbclient, the user you log in as needs to have
full read/write/modify permissions to the drive so that it can reset the
archive bit.

| Andrew S. Zbikowski       | Home: 763.591.0977 |
| http://www.ringworld.org  | Work: 763.428.9119 |
| http://www.itouthouse.com | PCS:  612.306.6055 |
|   Sinclair: "No boom?" Garibaldi: "No boom."   |
|     Ivanova: "No boom today. Boom tomorrow.    |
|             Always a boom tomorrow."           |