On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 11:49:32AM -0500, Andy Zbikowski (Zibby) wrote:
> If you don't have /etc/hosts or /etc/hostname that indicates to me that
> something in your install went wrong. This would also cause problems for
> KDE and GNOME.
>
> You can recreate them easily enough. /etc/hosts should look something like
> this:
>
> 127.0.0.1       hostname localhost
>
> If you have a static ip you should define that as well. hosts would look
> something like this in that case:
>
> 127.0.0.1       localhost
> 209.98.65.241   destiny.ringworld.org   destiny www
>
> /etc/hostname is simply the name of your box. The hostname gives
> your box personality, so choose wisely. Murphy's law dictates that pos,
> crash, burn, etc. don't make good hostnames. By the same law, nor do
> unbreakable, untouchable, unhackable...
>
> Anyway, that's a start to correcting your problems. GNOME and KDE need to
> know what localhost is and what ip hostname goes to or they break nicely.
>
> If it was me, I wouldn't reinstall. I'd roll up my sleaves and fix it.
> You're not me, and may find it easier to reinstall. I suggest you roll up
> your sleaves and fix it, you'll learn more faster. ;)

If it was me, I wouldn't bother to reinstall. If files in /etc are missing,
then what else is missing? Or only half installed?

If you KNOW that eveything in /var is fine you could try a "rpm -Va" which
will check all packages.

But again, you might spend more hours chasing this than doing a clean install.

florin

--

"you have moved your mouse, please reboot to make this change take effect"

41A9 2BDE 8E11 F1C5 87A6  03EE 34B3 E075 3B90 DFE4