If you don't have /etc/hosts or /etc/hostname that indicates to me that
something in your install went wrong. This would also cause problems for
KDE and GNOME.

You can recreate them easily enough. /etc/hosts should look something like
this:

127.0.0.1       hostname localhost

If you have a static ip you should define that as well. hosts would look
something like this in that case:

127.0.0.1       localhost
209.98.65.241   destiny.ringworld.org   destiny www

/etc/hostname is simply the name of your box. The hostname gives
your box personality, so choose wisely. Murphy's law dictates that pos,
crash, burn, etc. don't make good hostnames. By the same law, nor do
unbreakable, untouchable, unhackable...

Anyway, that's a start to correcting your problems. GNOME and KDE need to
know what localhost is and what ip hostname goes to or they break nicely.

If it was me, I wouldn't reinstall. I'd roll up my sleaves and fix it.
You're not me, and may find it easier to reinstall. I suggest you roll up
your sleaves and fix it, you'll learn more faster. ;)

| Andrew S. Zbikowski       | Home: 763.591.0977 |
| http://www.ringworld.org  | Work: 763.428.9119 |
| http://www.itouthouse.com | PCS:  612.306.6055 |
|   His power apparently lies in his ability to  |
|           choose incompetent enemies.          |
|    - Crow T. Robot, MST3K, "Prince of Space"   |