bdunnette at visi.com wrote:

> Hey all...
> Been trying to install Debian on a system I pieced together from an old
> Zeos (remember them?) case, a 3 gig Quantum HD, and the aforementioned
> K6/VA-503+/64meg DIMM, which I bought recently from Gen'l Nano.  Problem
> is, I get part way through the installation (the exact
> point varies) and then the installer segfaults.  This doesn't seem to be
> distro-specific -- everything seems to segfault sooner or later.
> Sometimes
> I don't even get into the installer due to a kernel paging error or some
> such thing.  Any idea why this is?  Did I just get a bad mobo, or am I
> missing something?

Hey, that's my wonderful *cough* motherboard!  Just don't try running IDE
DMA and/or Linux 2.4 and things should be okay.  I suspect that you
probably have bad memory.  My family has seen three of these motherboards,
and we had the kernel paging error on the board we put in our cable modem
gateway.  Replacing the memory made it more stable.  Also take a look at
FIC's website to see if you can update the BIOS.  I think the newest
version is JE439 or something.  http://www.fica.com/

--