On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 02:37:10AM -0500, bdunnette at visi.com wrote:
> Hey all...
> Been trying to install Debian on a system I pieced together from an old
> Zeos (remember them?) case, a 3 gig Quantum HD, and the aforementioned
> K6/VA-503+/64meg DIMM, which I bought recently from Gen'l Nano.  Problem is, I get part way through the installation (the exact
> point varies) and then the installer segfaults.  This doesn't seem to be
> distro-specific -- everything seems to segfault sooner or later.  Sometimes
> I don't even get into the installer due to a kernel paging error or some
> such thing.  Any idea why this is?  Did I just get a bad mobo, or am I
> missing something?

Looks like a hardware problem. Probably memory or motherboard.

Run memtest86 from sgi for a night to see if that catches any memory problem.

I have used a K6-2/395 on a VA-503+ for a year and a half and then after a
shutdown the system would'n come up.

I didn't have any instability problems. When it worked it worked, when it died
it died. 8-)

florin

--

"you have moved your mouse, please reboot to make this change take effect"

41A9 2BDE 8E11 F1C5 87A6  03EE 34B3 E075 3B90 DFE4