On Tue, May 29, 2001 at 08:55:33AM -0500, Carl & Paula Zeilon wrote:
> I've just joined tclug in the hopes that someone can help me learn some
> Linux.  I am quite knowledgeable about Windows & hardware, however, Linux
> gives me fits.  I have run Mandrake 7.0 in the past, but it would no longer
> cooperate when I moved to a newer computer.
>
> I've just completed an installation of Mandrake 8.0.  The install went
> great with all my hardware being detected properly (I even have
> sound!).  Now for my first blunder...  I logged on as root and set up my
> internet connection with KPPP.  I thought this would set up a connection
> for all users.  What has happened is that now no user except root can log
> into the system (or at least can't use the KDE or Gnome interfaces).  At
> the "Welcome to Localhost" screen I must log on as root.  If I try any
> other user & KDE I get this message...  error setting up inter-process
> communications, message returned:  could not read network connection
> list.  //.dcopserver_localhost.localdomain_:0  check that dcopserver is
> running.  If I try to log onto Gnome it just shoots me back to the "welcome
> to localhost screen"  with no error message.

That sounds strange...

1. Did the computer work after installation? I mean were you able to logout,
login, reboot the computer and it just stopped working after KPPP?

2. Try to think what else have you changed. After you install a new system
usually one tries to do all sorts of customization. What makes you sure
the KPPP setup was the culprit?

3. Can you login at the console? Try "Ctrl-Alt-F1" and you should get to a
console. Try to login as a regular user and see what happens.

4. Login as root and create another user, then try to login as that user. Maybe
you existing profiles are toasted...

Thas't generic stuff so far. I don't have Mandrake experience, but these should
get you started.

florin

--

"you have moved your mouse, please reboot to make this change take effect"

41A9 2BDE 8E11 F1C5 87A6  03EE 34B3 E075 3B90 DFE4