Does this topic remind anyone else of the vi/emacs wars?

My $0.02:

- Java is, in some significant ways, a stronger cross-platform language
  than Perl.  Many 3rd  party Perl modules are unix-centric, relying upon
  the presence of a C compiler and make utility (not generally included
  with windoze, so Perl users on Windows face some extra issues if the
  module they need is not available in binary form from ActiveState).  On
  the other hand, Sun only recently designated Linux as a "tier 1"
  platform for Java.

- Perl is more scriptable than Java.  Much better for ad-hoc scripts and
  one-liners.

- Java is more object-oriented than Perl.  Designed as an OO language from
  the ground up.  Highly buzzword compliant (makes PHBs happy). Additional
  evidence of Java's high levels of buzzword compliance and 3rd party
  support:
  http://java.sun.com/products/?frontpage-main
  http://java.sun.com/j2ee/docs.html
  http://www.appserver-zone.com/
  http://www.bea.com/index.shtml
  http://www.orionserver.com/
  http://www.enhydra.org/

- Java imposes more constraints on program structure than Perl.  For
  large applications, I view this as an advantage for Java ("Hell is other
  people's Perl" ...)

- The market for Java programmers is larger (based on a search at
  dice.com;  4817 hits for "perl", 11649 hits for "java").

- Both Java and Perl enjoy strong support by the Apache Foundation:
  http://perl.apache.org/
  http://jakarta.apache.org/
  http://java.apache.org/

If I were running a business, I'd be more comfortable writing my core
business applications in Java than in Perl.  This may be a partially
subjective opinion, but it's the main reason I have personally chosen to
focus on developing my Java skills -- in the past, I have worked using
Perl under both *nix and windoze; haven't tried PHP yet, though.

Joel

P.S. Google reveals additional, seemingly endless, commentary on Perl
vs. Java or Java vs. Perl:
http://www.google.com/search?q=perl+vs.+java
http://www.google.com/search?q=java+vs.+perl

---
Member of the GNU/X/Apache/Perl/Samba/OpenSSH/Linux generation.